I'd originally planned to give my views on one of the WWE's biggest shows of the year, the Royal Rumble, on my podcast 'Best in the World with Richard Parr' but this week's interview with Darren Campbell covered so much I thought i'd jot down a few of my thoughts here.
- Loved the Last Man Standing Match between Dean Ambrose and Kevin Owens. I wonder how much they wrestled each other on the independent circuit because they appear to have good chemistry.
- Didn't think much of the Divas title match other than the appearance of Sasha Banks. Not sure why WWE have held her back until now on the main roster. As you can see from my article on aljazeera.com I'm a big fan of hers.
- Enjoyed the Rumble. Still can't make out whether it was a good debut for AJ Styles or not. Loved his stuff in TNA, especially with Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle. I hope they have a plan for him, ideally something with Finn Balor and the Bullet Club.
- The potential of a Brock Lesnar v Bray Wyatt match, likely at Wrestlemania, doesn't excite me. Only because every time it appears that Wyatt is getting steam, they make him lose the big match. For example, in the last two Manias against John Cena and the Undertaker. With that in mind, it doesn't make sense for Lesnar to lose and just means they have to begin their cycle of rebuilding Wyatt again.
- Quite liked the fact Triple H became the WWE World Heavyweight Champion. I despised him in the early 2000s (I guess that's what makes him so good at his job) and never wanted him to win matches (yes I know it's predetermined!). But as he hasn't held the title for so long it kind of felt fresh. It also makes sense with the Roman Reigns storyline.
Well those are just a few of my thoughts. Will likely give my Wrestlemania predictions and review on the podcast in the future so stay tuned for that. Have a great weekend!